Friday, January 21, 2011

Nihon Goshin Aikido & Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

The following quote about Nihon Goshin Aikido captures my opinion on Nihon Goshin Aikido and how it can (and should) relate to other martial arts.

"Nihon Goshin Aikido does not compartmentalize component parts, but unifies opposites into oneness."

Nihon Goshin Aikido, when founded, contained elements of all of Master Morita's Martial Arts knowledge. Which included Aikido, Judo, Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and Karate. Additional to the standard Aikido techniques, our curriculum contains throws and chokes from Judo (but none of the ground-work), joint-locks from Jiu-Jitsu and basic strikes from Karate. What was not included by Master Morita was the ground-work from Judo or Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. At the time of NGA's founding (circa 1940's), I doubt Master Morita, like most of the world, had seen or heard of GJJ/BJJ or the Gracie Family. Due to the effectiveness and logical ground strategy of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, my opinion is that it fits perfectly alongside the overall martial strategy of Nihon Goshin Aikido.

I was introduced to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in the Fall of 1997 in the Tampa, Florida area. Due to the limited amount of instruction in Gracie or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the Columbia, SC area, I did not regularly train in GJJ until December of 2007. Since then, I have continued my training in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu under Jack Walker and Professor Pedro Valente of Gracie Miami and the Gracie Family from Torrance, California. All this training ultimately resulted in me becoming a Level 1 Certified Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Instructor and my academy becoming a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Certified Training Center.  The Gracie "style" of Jiu-Jitsu is non-sport and non-competitive. It is a perfect fit for what my opinion of a martial artist should be. One who can defend themselves in each category of hand to hand combat. Before I obtained basic understanding and skills in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, I had an average response for a ground attack scenario. Now I have a first-rate strategy.

This is why I give all my Aikido students the opportunity to train in our GJJ classes. In fact, all of my advanced Aikido students are required to attend the Gracie Combatives classes.  It is my recommendation to all Aikido practitioners, especially Nihon Goshin Aikido practitioners, to learn Gracie Combatives at a minimum.  My goal is to be the most well-rounded martial artist and to provide my students and my family with the most practical methods of self-defense. 

Sensei John Carter
senseicarter@gmail.com
www.cartersacademy.com
http://www.gracieacademy.com/
http://www.gracieuniversity.com/
http://www.graciekids.com/
803.546.6079

No comments: